Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Irritation Release 101

"The end of the world is coming soon. Therefore, be earnest and disciplined in your prayers. Most important of all, continue to show deep love for each other, for love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:7-8 NLT

Lately something has been happening inside of me. I have felt this irritation for a couple of people that the Lord has in my life. They haven't hurt me so much, but their words and actions have been hurtful to my friend. I'm not perfect, but I don't usually get irritated at people. If I do, it comes and goes. But this has been just sitting there--do you know what I mean? Have you ever been here? It just irritates me (joke, hee, hee).

Anyway, I've been wanting to say something profound that would change these people's mind set and attitude. I want to protect my friend by saying something that was so God ordained that they couldn't help but cry for forgiveness and have an instant life change. I've even prayed and ask God for that very thing. If He wanted me to do or say something, then to please give me His words, His timing and His courage--but nothing has come of it--until this verse.

This verse hits right to my heart. It's not my words--but my actions--behind closed doors, "Therefore, be earnest and disciplined in your prayers." and in the open, "Most important of all, continue to show deep love for each other, for love covers a multitude of sins," that will make the difference in these people lives. Do you understand?

Jesus changed more lives--not by running around, thumping a Bible and yelling, "REPENT", "CHANGE YOUR WAYS," "SAY YOUR SORRY!"--but by being a quiet, gentle, gracious presence in people's lives. That's all I need to do. I just need to pray a hedge of protection around my friend, pray for the others that are doing the offending and love them unconditionally. If I do all that, then if the Lord wants me to, He will give me the right words at the right time to do His work. If He doesn't, it's O.K. He's in control. And you know, this will work for you too.

Feel the urge to scream--pray and love. Feel the need change someone--pray and love. In the process, you may be changed too.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Erik for a very insightful blog. I think at times we all deal with this battle between our feelings(emotions)and trying to live 1st Peter.

    ReplyDelete