Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Re-Thinking

"Teach us to number our days aright,
that we may gain a heart of wisdom."
Psalm 90:12 NIV

I have had to rethink what and how I'm doing life. I found that I was waking up exhausted. While I like what I am doing, I have come to the conclusion that there is an element of truth to the old saying, "Too much of a good thing can be bad for you."

The Bible says to do all things in moderation. This is good advise, but not always easy to follow. I love being a pastor. I love working on my friend's cattle ranch. I've even enjoy the projects around my house. I'm having to learn to pull back and slow down. I can't do it all, even if I want to. It's not all up to me. It's not all about me. I put standards and deadlines upon myself that lead to failure and disappointment. I get exhausted.

One night my son said to me, "Dad, I feel sorry for you." "Why?", I replied. He said, "Your job makes you so tired." That got me thinking.

I got away last week with a fellow pastor for a short time of prayer and ministry planning. My family said that maybe I could use the time away for some rest. I thought, "No way, I have work to do." God spoke to me during that time away. He didn't call me, or any of us to burn out. We do it to ourselves. We allow the demands of life, the approval of others, and self-gratification, to keep us busy to the point of exhaustion.

God rested from the work of creation. He calls us to enter His rest. We have His approval through Jesus. He gives rest to the weary. Are you weary?

It is easy to get on overload, especially with "good things." Christmas time is when many of us tend to get maxed out. I am having to rethink. I have to prioritize and reshuffle my schedule. I have to say "no" to some requests and opportunities. It's hard to do that. But it is necessary. We are in a marathon, not a sprint.

Take this time to focus on the gift of Jesus. Take time to receive and find, the joy in His rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment