Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Season of Layers

"'Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever;
wisdom and power are his.
He changes times and seasons;

he sets up kings and deposes them.
He gives wisdom to the wise
and knowledge to the discerning.
He reveals deep and hidden things;

he knows what lies in darkness,
and light dwells with him.
I thank and praise you, O God of my fathers:

You have given me wisdom and power,
you have made known to me what we asked of you,
you have made known to us the dream of the king.'" Daniel 2:20-23 NIV

The last couple of weeks, I've been noticing that the air is getting it's fall smell and look. The air has that musty, moisty, leafy smell, the sky is that extra deeper blue color with of the obvious changing color and dropping of leaves.

Well, that got me thinking about seasons and then of course Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 came to mind and that was what I was going to write on today. But God lead me to this one instead.

Have you ever read it? It's a beautiful praise/prayer from Daniel to his God. He puts into words what I have been feeling lately. The power of my God and His love and acceptance of me is, at times, too hard to grasp. Too hard to accept. Too deep of a truth to wrap my spirit around.

Do you do this? Do you feel or think,"Yes, my God loves me." We say that, but do we really comprehend it? I don't know if I can explain what happened, but the other night as I was driving home, the Lord brought to me the realization that He loves me. That I can truly lean on Him. That I don't need to worry about things. He truly will take care of them.

Duh! No brainer you say. But this was different. These truths were brought into a deeper layer of my spirit. Like you, perhaps, I knew these truths, but until the other night, they were just on the surface of my spirit, if you understand what I am trying to say. But as I was sharing with Him my feelings and such that I had been stuffing the last few weeks, I felt His presence in my mind and it was this thought--"Why? Why do you do this to yourself? Don't you know? I am great enough for you? I am your God. I will take care of you."

WOW! Talk about being stopped in your tracks! I felt so foolish. I called myself a child of God and claim to have unconditional faith in Him--but it was only on the surface of my spiritual life.

Please, within all of this rambling I have shared with you--is this truth--the same God that saved Daniel from the king's butcher's block and prompt him to write the above praise verses, is the same God that saves us from our selves. That the truth of His love and authenticity can safely go a layer deeper into your spiritual life. You don't have to try to protect yourself by keeping on the top, the surface. You can't believe how humblingly freeing it is!

The same God that can change the seasons of nature for centuries, is the same God that can change the seasons of your spiritual life today. Trust Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment