Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Get Going!

"Jesus came and told his disciples, 'I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.'” Matthew 28:18-20 NLT

I remember a missionary to Venezuela who started an orphanage for street kids. He told me that God never told him to go to Venezuela. He visited the country, saw the need, and met it. He said, "Jesus has already told us to go. I saw a need and thought,'What would Jesus do? He would help the orphans.' So that's what I did."

A friend mentioned to me once that maybe our prayer ought to be, "Should I stay?", not "Should I go?" I knew what he meant. So many of us are looking for purpose. We want to serve God, to make a difference. But we wait around most of our lives, waiting on God to show us what to do. I suggest that God is waiting on us. Jesus told his disciples to "go" and make other disciples.

Over and over in scripture, we see that as Jesus and his followers "went along their way", things happened. The woman at the well. A woman's son raised from the dead. A tax collector's salvation.

Where has God told you to go? Go to your job, your classroom, your family, your community. As we "go", God shows us what he's doing and how we can join him. We waste time waiting for the plan, when in fact Jesus is the plan. Follow him. Build your relationship with him. He is the way and will show you the way.

Remember Jesus said to go. Not sit around and watch what happens. So GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment