Saturday, January 31, 2009

Unity

"How good and pleasant it is
when brothers live together in unity!
It is like precious oil poured on the head,
running down on the beard,
running down on Aaron's beard,
down upon the collar of his robes.

It is as if the dew of Hermon
were falling on Mount Zion.
For there the LORD bestows his blessing,
even life forevermore."
Psalm 133 NIV

Jesus is the God of unity. The Trinity is an example of perfect unity. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit existing and operating in perfect unity. The New Living translation uses the word "harmony" in place of "unity."

The 120 followers of Christ that were waiting for the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, were in "one accord" or in unity.

Jesus said this about unity among his followers;
“'I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message. I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me.

I have given them the glory you gave me, so they may be one as we are one. I am in them and you are in me. May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them as much as you love me.'"
John 17:20-23 NLT

Our witness to the world is our love for God and one another, expressed in unity.

Unfortunately we live in a world that is not in unity. Our political system is not unified. Our families are in chaos. Even the Church is divided.

It's time that the Church puts aside it's petty differences. We look to the differences instead of the things we have in common. We all come with various theological interpretations, traditions and denominational bents. Can't we embrace our diversity without disunity? Can't we put aside our experiences, our agendas and our pride?

If God blesses our unity, I wonder what happens with our disunity?

No comments:

Post a Comment