Monday, June 28, 2010

Are You Weary?

"My soul is weary with sorrow;
strengthen me according to your word.

Keep me from deceitful ways;
be gracious to me through your law.

I have chosen the way of truth;
I have set my heart on your laws.

I hold fast to your statutes, O LORD;
do not let me be put to shame.

I run in the path of your commands,
for you have set my heart free." Psalm 119:28-32 NIV

Have you ever been to that place? That place that where your soul is so tired--tired of fighting, tired of the stress, tired of the sadness?

In Noah Webster's International Dictionary, weary is defined as: v. i.) To grow tired; to become exhausted or impatient; as, to weary of an undertaking. I've been there. And sometimes when I am there, I'm not a very nice person. Oh, you may not notice it on the outside, but in my spirit, God sees a whole bunch of ugly.

I'm not proud when I allow my spirit to get to that point--and blessfully, it doesn't get there very often. But when it does, I am so humbled because He brings it out to the light. (And hopefully before it spills onto others.) I see all my ugly and I have to cry out for forgiveness. Have you been there? Have you had to just back away and see yourself in the mirror of your Heavenly Father's eyes and see what your weariness has become--to see what it has caused your spirit to smell like? It smells like garbage.

That may seem harsh and it may offend you, but isn't that what a spirit filled with impatience, irritation, and judgement is--garbage? We don't plan it. Most times it just sneaks up on us. But we don't need to recycle it, do we? NO! We need to take it to the landfill and just leave it. Put it in the incinerator and let our God take it and burn it.

Then we can come back to Him, praying for Him to fill us up with His Heavenly spirit, with His sparkling joy, with His unending graciousness.

Do you know how to keep your spirit from becoming to that point--the point that it is so weary that you can't keep the bad out? First, pray. Be in constant conversation with your Heavenly God so that you know where you are at spiritually. And secondly, read His Holy Book. This book is a more than just a 'book'. Each and every page is a love letter to you. It keeps you filled--so your spirit is not weary but full of the wisdom of His heavenly pages. It keeps you focus--so that you stay on the path, emotionally, spiritually and physically, that He has designed for you.

"Heaven and earth will disappear, but my words will never disappear." Matthew 24:35 NLT. That's a promise that brings such joy into my soul. How about yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment