Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Times of Strength

"Don't be afraid, for I am with you.
Don't be discouraged, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you.
I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.
For I hold you by your right hand--I, the LORD your God.
And I say to you,
'Don't be afraid. I am here to help you.'"
Isaiah 41:10, 13 NLT

Our church family is going through a very sad time right now. One of our young sisters in Christ had a head-on a couple of days ago and was killed. She was in her early 20's. She was her mother's miracle baby--her only child. She was going to be married next month. We were going to have her bridal shower next week--and now we are planning her funeral. We mourn deeply with her mother.

These are the times that the above verse holds so much power. We all deal with grief differently, but we have the same God. We have the same Father that will strengthen us when we grieve--in whatever stage that is. We mourn for the loss of Becky in our everyday lives--we rejoice that she is where she is the happiest--in her Heavenly Father's arms.

Don't you love the image of the last verse, "For I hold you by the right hand--I, the LORD your God. And I say to you,'Don't be afraid, I am here to help you." ? When I read it, I get this vision of an outline of this big, tall, strong Father figure (my Heavenly Father) reaching down and holding the hand of this little 3 year old child (me). Looking into the scene, you feel the sense of security, of protection, of love. Because, at least for me sometimes, when I am going through emotional times, I do get a sense of fear. Of insecurity. Do you?

Times like these, when we don't have an answer to the question, "Why?"--we truly don't need it. It is enough to know that He is in control. And He cares enough to see us through all things.

Our God is an AWESOME God.

No comments:

Post a Comment