Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A Rocky Situation

"Come to Jesus Christ. He is the living stone that people have rejected, but which God has chosen and highly honored. And now you are living stones that are being used to build a spiritual house. You are also a group of holy priests, and with the help of Jesus Christ you will offer sacrifices that please God." 1 Peter 2:4-5 CEV

I don't know if any of you are gardeners or just like to build things with your hands. But I do. I've built these rock walls around my flower beds. Well, you know, you can't just use any old rock. No, you get this big pile of rocks and then you shift through them, picking out just the right rock for that particular spot. This is how the wall stays strong and solid and beautiful. I have to admit, there have been times that--in my searching for the "perfect" rock--I have overlooked or rejected the rock that I really needed to have in that spot it was created for. And then I have to go and try to find it again.

So, when I read this verse, I think of those times. I think of when I thought that I had found the perfect rock for that spot in the wall and in my mind's eye, my wall was going to be so beautiful. But in reality, when I stepped back to check the affect and progress of my work, the rock that I thought was perfect, was the wrong rock for where I had placed it. And of course, it is never the rock on top, the easy one to get to. No, it usually is a foundation rock that I have to tear down a section, take out the wrong rock, find the rock that I had first rejected and use it. And guess what? Yup! Once I rebuilt that section of the wall and stepped back, the wall was now beautiful and perfect.

How about you? Do you realize that you have a very valuable role in this thing call life. Our God has created each and every one of us for a purpose and He needs all of us to make His life plan come true.

Your God is the Master rock wall builder. He lovingly has created each one of us as individuals. Individual in our personalities and our gifts. Yes, He created us to be individuals yet at the same time, needing each other to build a strong wall. Can you imagine how strong a wall would be with only one rock? Can one rock keep the dirt and water in and the weeds out? Can one rock keep the plants protected by keeping the dogs out? No.God needs us and we need our God. Always. Every second of every day.

If you have ever rejected Him--turn back. Was it because you didn't understand something that He did, or because you got mad at Him or because He didn't respond to a situation like you thought He should? Release it! Seriously--just turn around and ask for forgiveness. Be humble and truthful enough to admit that you have rejected the wrong rock--the wrong person. You NEED Him in your life. You may think that your rock wall is beautiful and perfect, but your spirit knows differently.

It takes only a moment to fix a lifetime!

I patiently waited, LORD,
for you to hear my prayer.
You listened and pulled me
from a lonely pit
full of mud and mire.
You let me stand on a rock
with my feet firm,
and you gave me a new song,
a song of praise to you.
Many will see this,
and they will honor
and trust
you, the LORD God.
Psalm 40:1-3 CEV

No comments:

Post a Comment