Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A War Story

"to shine on those living in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the path of peace."Luke 1:79 NIV

I have a funny story to tell. A couple of nights ago, we had to pick up our older son at the local Civil War Reenactment. It was just at dusk so it was kind of hard to see. We were driving slowly down this old dirt path with our head lights on and the lights of the muskets and cannons going off were in front of us. Well, we are driving--trying to locate our son in the darkening landscape--and mind you, people are looking at us, yet no one is stopping us. We get about 3/4 the way through this huge field when we come upon this covered wagon. The driver of the covered wagon jumps down and comes to my window and tells me to cut the lights and get off the field--there's a battle going on! So, I cut the lights and am trying to get off the field by driving in the dark without lights, on a path I wasn't at all familiar with--when this cannon ball exploded in the path in front of us! Goodness! That came out of nowhere! Long story short, we finally made it to the other side--only to be confronted by good meaning people asking us, "Didn't you know that you were driving through a Civil War night battle? And didn't you know that there was some live ammo being used? Do you know that you are lucky that you didn't get hurt?"

And I had to tell them--and truthfully so-that I was clueless. Yes, I knew I was entering the Civil War settlement, but no, I didn't know that I wasn't suppose to driving through it--I didn't even know there was an actual battle going on--I truly thought it was just for demonstration--to give people a good time. They should of had a sign up, or people manning the road or a rope, something! And I didn't know that live ammo was being used--I thought is was something like fireworks. And yes, I am glad that we weren't hurt.

Well, after recovering from being be fumbled--I had to laugh. I thought, God is so funny! Here I was, just driving along, war is all about us, and I am clueless to the seriousness of the environment around me. I had no fear. Until I was told I should and then I was finding myself being a little like Peter when he was walking on the water. I was thinking of all the could have happened but through the grace of Jesus, we were fine.

Is this something that you have ever experienced? Are you living it now? Our lives are a battlefield--constantly. We have all sources of ammo flying--some as big as cannon balls and some as small of musket shells. But it affects us all the same. Those are the times that we need to have our arsenal full of God's words to kill the enemy. To save the land--your life.

You need to be totally aware of where your path is going or where you are on it. There is no room for complacity--for being caught off guard. For that is when you will be attached the greatest. Why? Because that is when you are the weakest--no matter how long you have been a Christian. Being grounded in the Word, having accountability partners and being in communion with your Heavenly Father is the best way to have this happened.

Start today!

No comments:

Post a Comment