Friday, February 6, 2009

The Best Path

"The Lord says, 'I will guide you along the best pathway for your life.
I will advise you and watch over you.
Do not be like a senseless horse or mule
that needs a bit and bridle to keep it under control.'”
Psalm 32:8,9 NLT

Have you ever gone down the wrong road? Have you ever been at a place in life that seems to be taking you nowhere or getting you into trouble? I have.

The Lord promises to direct us along the "best" pathway for us. Often we settle for the easiest possible pathway. Sometimes we forsake the absolute "best" for the merely "good".

For God to guide, advise and watch over us, takes something on our part. First, we need a relationship with God through Jesus Christ. Without a relationship with God, we are left to ourselves. Second, it takes a posture of humility. Being humble is enough to receive God's direction and care. Third, it takes submission. The willingness to put our mission under God's mission. We let Him be in control. Submission isn't a popular word in our culture.

David, the man that wrote Psalm 32, refers to the horse and mule. I know something about horses and mules. I was a professional wrangler for many years. Horses and mules can be resistant, runaway and hurt themselves. I remember one horse that when I tried to stop him, ran away with me. He broke my reins. We almost had a big wreck! Another horse was fighting my direction and stepped off a cliff with both of us. We almost died had God not intervened. One horse I had was perfect! I barely had to touch his reins. He was sensitive to my lead and responded accordingly. We had a great relationship.

So, who's lead are you following in life? Where are you headed? Is it the absolutely "best" path for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment