Thursday, February 19, 2009

Experiencing the Presence of God in His Word

"By your words I can see where I'm going;
they throw a beam of light on my dark path."
Psalm 119:105 The Message

I love reading the Bible. I didn't always. I had a hard time understanding the Bible. I was confused, frustrated, or lost whenever I tried to read it. But after I gave my life to Christ an amazing thing happened. The Holy Spirit began opening my heart and eyes to the truths of God's word.

Unfortunately, many Christians don't spend time in God's word. We find time for everything else. We live confused, frustrated and unchanged lives. The Bible alone will not change a person's life. It takes a relationship with Jesus. But once you give your life to God, He sends His Spirit to help open your heart & mind to be able to understand His scriptures. No longer are the writings of the Bible just stories, theology or good teachings. They become one of the ways that God reaches out and speaks to us. We experience the presence of God as we read, listen and meditate on His word.

When Peggy was diagnosed with cancer, we found comfort and strength as we read and believed God's word. When faced with relational, financial or other challenges, God's word guides us. Just today it happened. Relationally, Peggy and I have had a rough couple of days. This morning in Peggy's time in the Bible, the scripture she read spoke to her heart.

God speaks to us. One of the main ways is through His word. The world, our culture, our past, our brokenness, our failures and our accomplishments will also speak to us.

What are you listening to?

"For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires." Hebrews 4:12 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment