Friday, February 27, 2009

Looking Back-Part 2

"I am losing all hope;
I am paralyzed with fear.
I remember the days of old.
I ponder all your great works
and think about what you have done."
Psalm 143:4,5 NLT

Yesterday we looked at how looking back at past sins, desires, pains, shame and failures can stop us dead in our tracks. In other words, we get into a rut and never come out of it. We set ourselves up for failure.

However, there are times that looking back at the past can be helpful. It's what we choose to focus on. When David wrote Psalm 143, he was at a low point in his life. To encourage himself, he remembered the past goodness, love and power of God, that he had experienced in his life.

Years ago my family relocated from Colorado back to California. The transition didn't go as smoothly as we anticipated. I remember Peggy telling me one night that we were not going to have enough money to pay our bills. I was pretty discouraged. My faith was low. We gave as the Bible said to. We loved and served the Lord. Yet we found ourselves living in a travel trailer and broke!

The next morning I read a passage of scripture that talked about God taking care of us. I remember thinking, "Lord, that's easy to believe when things are going our way. But not now." That day, as we attend church service, a couple gave Peggy and I an envelope. Inside was a card with the verse I had read just that morning and a cash gift that exactly met our needs. We never told anyone about our trouble or the scripture I had read. God placed it on that couple's heart to help us.

I look back to this story when my faith gets low. I look back to the times in my life and the lives of others when God has been our strong support. It gives me strength and hope.

What are you looking back at? Is it giving you strength and hope? Look to Jesus, our living hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment