Monday, February 23, 2009

Our Source of Strength

"As soon as I pray, you answer me;
you encourage me by giving me strength."
Psalm 138:3 NLT

There are a lot of things in life that can zap our strength, physically, emotionally and spiritually. Disease attacks our bodies. The pressures of getting by in life weigh on our emotions. And the forces of evil and our culture bombard our spirits.

What are we to do?

The psalmist gives us the answer. In his distress he prayed. He called on the Lord. All too often, I try to think it through, reason things out, find the loophole. But our first response should be to pray. When we pray, heaven opens and the supernatural favor of God is poured upon us and whatever situation we are struggling with.

God gives us encouragement. In fact, in describing the ministry of the Holy Spirit, Jesus said that the Spirit would encourage, comfort and be an advocate for us.

As we receive the encouragement of the Holy Spirit, we are filled with strength. Jesus told His first followers to wait in Jerusalem until they received the Holy Spirit and were filled with His power. The Greek word for power is the root word that we use for the word "dynamite." Imagine that kind of power and strength in whatever situation that is challenging you right now.

What is draining you of life and strength right now? What areas of your life seem to be crushing down on you?

"I give you thanks, O Lord, with all my heart;
I will sing your praises before the gods.
I bow before your holy Temple as I worship.
I praise your name for your unfailing love and faithfulness;
for your promises are backed
by all the honor of your name.
As soon as I pray, you answer me;
you encourage me by giving me strength."
Psalm 138:1-3 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment