Monday, April 27, 2009

The Gracious Hand of God

"I felt encouraged because the gracious hand of the LORD my God was on me." Ezra 7:28 NLT

As I am writing this, my son Jordan is lying in a hospital bed. We found out last night that he has Type 1 Diabetes. Sounds scary. And it can be. For the rest of his life, he will have to be on insulin. But God is good and His grace is everlasting. What my son has, we can manage it and he can live a long and productive life. But what about the parents that have children with cancer or other uncurable situations?

When Peggy, Amanda and I were sitting in the waiting room at Valley Children's, we were surrounded by mothers and fathers who had to bring their child in here for some reason. Were their hearts and spirits all aflutter as mine was? Were they battling their fears with the knowledge that God is in control even if I feel that I am not? Did they even know God?

I praise my God that even in the midst of fears, blood tests, IV's, He is there--with His ever-present hand, graciously on my shoulder--squeezing it ever so gently, as if to say, "Yes, I know how it is to worry over a son. To love one so much that you would gladly say, please, take me, spare my son this pain. I've been there. But trust Me, Eric, father to father, I will care for our son."

When you are in a scary spot, where do you turn? Sometimes in the midst of our pain, confusion or saddness, we can't see God or what His plan is. But remember this, even when we can't trace His hand, we can trust His heart. He wants only the best for us and that may include going through some tough times.

"And praise Him for demonstrating such unfailing love to me..." Ezra 7:28 NLT

Please, as you think of Jordan, pray for him. We should be home Wednesday. I humbly thank you. Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment