Friday, May 22, 2009

A Father's Love

"Even before He made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in His eyes." Ephesians 1:4 NLT

As Christians, we often hear the phrase "God loves you". And He does. But I'm afraid at times, we tend to take that for granted.

"Of course God loves me, He has to," is my response. But is that necessarily so? Does God have to love me? He created me and died for me, but does that mean He has to love me? I help create Amanda and Jordan, does that mean I have to love them?

Can I venture to say, No. I don't have to love them just because I help create them. But I chose to love them because they are my heart--they are a part of me. A very special part.

The same is with our Lord. He didn't have to create us. Don't you think He knew the heartache we would cause Him? But He chose to create us anyway. He loved us enough to make a way that would save us from ourselves--Jesus--and sacrificed His One and Only so that we would be holy and blameless in His sight. He planned that ahead, because He loved us.

It's not always easy to say, "God loves me." So many feelings come to surface. I'm not worthy--God loves me. I'm a sinner--God loves me. I don't deserve to be loved--God loves me.

God's love for you isn't based on anything except pure graciousness and honesty. He truly loves you without strings, or conditions or walls. Can you accept that? Can you say to yourself, out loud, "God loves ME." Go ahead, try it. You may feel silly but you need to hear yourself say it. God loves me.

And all He wants is for you to love Him likewise, in return. I ask you gently, can you do that?

"And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, who long, how high, and how deep His love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully." Ephesians 3:18-19 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment