Friday, May 8, 2009

Thank you God for Women

"Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last,
but a woman who fears the LORD will be
greatly praised." Proverbs 31:30 NLT

As we all know--or should know--this Sunday is a day that we dedicate ourselves to honoring our mothers. After all, if there weren't mothers, you and I wouldn't be here now would we?

I come to this day with two thoughts: one is that mothers are very special people and should be honored. Every day. Not just one day a year. Their role is such an important one. And they don't always get the respect and thanks that they should.

The other thought is this--I have known women who would give their eye teeth to be able to become a mom and for whatever the circumstance is, aren't. Shouldn't they be honored as well? Special days like this Sunday is like a sword to them. It brings to home the emptiness, the sadness, the ache. Some women may even feel that they are being "punished". Of course they aren't. But that's how they feel.

And then there is the woman who just chooses not the become a mom. What about her?

So, this is what I am thinking. This Sunday, May 10th, let's honor ALL women. Not to take away from our mothers, but God created all women.

I am so thankful for all the special women that the Lord has brought into my life. My mom. I know that we have had an estranged relationship, but she is my mother and I treasure her. My strong & beautiful Peggy, who amazes me so often with her ability to take what God gives her, the good and the bad, and runs with it. Amanda, the daughter of my heart, that at 19 has such grace and wisdom that is far above her years. My friend Melanie, who lost her daughter 2 years ago to cancer and now is losing her husband to brain cancer--she's re-teaching me the importance of making every day count. Kay Mickel, who's strength in the Lord, keeps her going to chemo every week, knowing she's going to feel horrible the next day. And when you see her, she has such a beaming smile. The list could go on.

If you have a woman in your life that has made an impact, tell her. If you have an estrange relationship, if appropriate, call and make amends. What could be a more appropriate time?

No comments:

Post a Comment