Tuesday, August 18, 2009

In the Driver's Seat

"Take control of what I say, O Lord,
and guard my lips.
Don’t let me drift toward evil
or take part in acts of wickedness.
Don’t let me share in the delicacies
of those who do wrong."
Psalm 141:3-4 NLT

I like this prayer. I like it because I can relate to it. I know that apart from God in my life, or should I say, the life of God in me, I can do no good thing. I realize this. I have hit too many walls and have had too many failures. No amount of will power or determination can keep me out of trouble. I have tried to play God too many times, only to fail miserably. Playing God is a job description that I cannot fulfill.

For many years my reason for not wanting to sin was that I feared going to hell. I even felt this way after I was "saved." When I realized that according to the Bible I have been saved, my motive for not wanting to sin changed. It wasn't to get into heaven. I'm there. It's because I love Jesus and want to live in perfect harmony with Him. He paid the penalty for my sin. He gave me a new life. His spirit lives inside of me. I am accepted, loved and holy. I want my life to reflect my "new nature."

What about you? Do you realize who you are in Christ Jesus? It works better--no, it really cannot work at all--until you put Him in the driver's seat of your life.

Hang on! The ride is something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment