Thursday, February 25, 2010

Even Steven

"Don't ever say, 'I'll get you for that!'
Wait for God; he'll settle the score."
Proverbs 20:22 (The Message)

If any of you have more than one child, I'm sure you've heard this , "But they started it!" or "They did it to me first."

Maybe my home is the only one. But I just had to deal with this. My response is this, "Well, you know, it takes two. Just ignore him and then the fun of teasing you will go away." Such wise words of motherhood! (not) But then I do end by asking, "What would Jesus do?"

When the chips are down and our primeval instincts are running rapid--what do we think, even if we don't say it? "I'll get them for that." "Just wait--they'll get theirs." "Don't let me catch them in a dark alley."

Don't you know that it's not your place? It's a normal human response when someone has really hurt us or someone we love--but it doesn't justify the response.

What an example Jesus is to us. Could anyone do half of what they did to Jesus to you? Could anything be so degrading, so traumatic, so uncalled for--as what was done to Jesus? Did Jesus retaliate? Did Jesus make threats? Did Jesus wish evil on His adversaries? No. He just did what His father told Him to. To love unconditionally, to turn the other cheek, to forgive 70 times 70 times.

Do you know the best way to getting even with your adversaries? Kill them with kindness. Love them in the name of Jesus. Pray for them, their hearts and their spirit. In the end, you will be in the winner seat. You can be at peace with your spirit and your Father. Isn't that the greatest revenge of all?

You do your job--God will do His. With God on your side, who can be against you?

No comments:

Post a Comment