Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Passing Shadows

"We are here for only a moment, visitors and strangers in the land as our ancestors were before us. Our days on earth are like a passing shadow, gone so soon without a trace."
1 Chronicles 29:15 NLT

I don't know about you, but to me, I am amazed at how fast time speeds by. It seems that we are in a month for about a week and presto, all of a sudden, it's the last day of the month. I remember summer vacations that seem to go on forever, and now summer seems oh, about a month.

I keep thinking--one of these days, I am going to be able to get everything done that I plan. Am I just fooling myself? How about you? Do you think that next week you will start that exercise program? Tomorrow you will get the checkbook balance?

Somethings you can put off--but not everything. Don't put off making that call that will mend a relationship. Don't put off writing that thank you note. Don't put off telling someone that you love them. Most off all, don't put off having a relationship with your heavenly Father.

Think about it. We have time to get our hair done. We make time to go shopping. We surely don't want to miss our favorite sports show on T.V.--but when it comes to making time to get into the word, or to have quiet time with our Lord or going to church on Sunday--oops! So sorry, too busy--not enough time. Next week. Heaven knows how busy I am. Excuses--Excuses--Excuses!

Where would you be if Mary said to the angel, "Thanks for the offer, but I'm too busy planning my wedding to have a baby right now." What if Jesus said, "Father, I would love to go praying in the garden, get arrested, be crucified and rise up in three days, but I just checked my daytimer and I'm totally booked up until next year."

Jesus deserves our 100%. Not the last 1%. Make your shadow mean something. When your shadow has passed by, don't you want it to be known that you were one of His. That you lived your life to the fullest for Him? Didn't He live His fullest for you?

Make the most of this moment--this very moment! Make it count. You never know, it may be your last.

No comments:

Post a Comment