Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Know This

"Know this: God, your God, is God indeed, a God you can depend upon. He keeps His covenant of loyal love with those who love Him and observe His commandments for a thousand generations." Deuteronomy 7:9 (The Message)

How many people in your life can you depend on? How many people in your life can depend upon you? With all of our good intentions and wishes, we will let down and be let down. Why? Because sad to say, we are human. We don't want to let down the people we love or to have people who are suppose to love us, let us down, but it happens--humanity.

Then there is God--your God. Your God will never let you down. He will love you with a love that is loyal and true. He will do it for a thousand generations. Why? Because He can not deny Himself. He created you out of love to love you. Can you understand that? Can you understand such a deep love? Can you accept such a true love?

To be honest, I have trouble accepting that. I have trouble believing that someone that is so perfect and so wise, can love someone like me that is so opposite. Because of my relationship with my dad, I always felt that I had to be perfect in order for him to love me. That I had to be beautiful, thin, smart before he would be glad that I was his daughter. My sister next to me was those things and they seem to get along just fine. So I strived to be those things--and guess what?--I never did become any of those things.

But as I grew, especially as I grew in the knowledge of my Heavenly Father's gracious acceptance of me and who I was--as I was--I was able to love my dad without strings attached. I was able to tell that I loved him and how much I valued him without having him say it in return. Because the Lord showed me that all people need to be loved and to know love even if they can not express it themselves--especially if they can not express it themselves.

My dad is a wonderful man. He is a great dad and I am blessed to have him as a father. If I had to be honest though, he let me down. Emotionally. This is what I am trying to say. At times, we may get our dad emotions and our Heavenly Father emotions all tangled up. We think that our Heavenly Father thinks and judges us as our dad did. He doesn't. No matter what kind of relationship that you had/have with your dad, it is nothing compared to the relationship that you could be having with your Heavenly Father.

Do you want that kind of love in your life? All you have to do is accept it. What does the beginning of this verse state--KNOW this....It doesn't say think about this or kind of understand this. It boldly states--KNOW. Know and ask and pray. Humbly ask Him into your heart and you will know what true love is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment