Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Walk on the Beach

I enjoy walks along the beach. It doesn't matter if the beach is on the ocean or a lake I enjoy walks along the shore. Peggy and I have had lots of great walks together on the shore.

Today I'm thinking about a walk that Peter and Jesus had together along the Sea of Galilee. It was after the Resurrection. On the night that Jesus was arrested and lead away, he told his disciples that they would all deny him. They all told him he was wrong, they would never leave him. Peter said that he above all the others would never deny Jesus. But he did.

"While Peter was below in the courtyard, one of the servant girls of the high priest came by. When she saw Peter warming himself, she looked closely at him.
“You also were with that Nazarene, Jesus,” she said.

But he denied it. “I don’t know or understand what you’re talking about,” he said, and went out into the entryway.

When the servant girl saw him there, she said again to those standing around, “This fellow is one of them.” Again he denied it.

After a little while, those standing near said to Peter, “Surely you are one of them, for you are a Galilean.”

He began to call down curses, and he swore to them, “I don’t know this man you’re talking about.”

Immediately the rooster crowed the second time. Then Peter remembered the word Jesus had spoken to him: “Before the rooster crows twice you will disown me three times.” And he broke down and wept." Mark 14:66-72 NIV


You might say, "Wow did he blow it." But the fact is we all have. None of us has never denied Jesus. Our thoughts deny him. Our actions. Our lack of love. We have all at one time or another been in Peter's sandals. We have felt the remorse of denying the Lord.

Let's look at Jesus response to Peter. It is after his resurrection. Jesus and the disciples have just shared a meal together. Picture Jesus walking along the shore with Peter. This is how it went.

" When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”
“Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”

Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”

He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”

The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”

Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Feed my sheep." John 21:15-17 NIV


Peter had denied the Lord three times. The Lord knew Peter's sorrow. He gave Peter an opportunity to repent. Three denials, and three affirmations. Jesus not only forgave Peter, he gave his life a sacred purpose.

Don't let your failures keep you from Jesus. He offers forgiveness and gives a sacred purpose to your life.

Do you need a walk on the beach?

1 comment:

  1. I loved this sermon! You get me every Sunday but this one hit hard. I still have the scene in my head of when Peter saw Jesus on the shore & jumped out of the boat and swam to him. Eric - you are a faithful servant & a powerful speaker, you are doing amazing things for God's Kingdom in our little corner of Mariposa. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete