Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Give it Up

"He reached down from heaven and rescued me;
He drew me out of deep waters.
He rescued me from my powerful enemies,
from those who hated me and were too strong for me.
They attacked me at a moment when I was in distress,
but the Lord supported me.
He led me to a place of safety;
He rescued me because He delights in me."
Psalm 18:16-19 NLT

Peggy and I hosted a youth event several years ago. It was a variety show fundraiser. When the kids had performed, Peggy would say, "Let's give it up!" Our kids teased her about using that phrase a lot. She was talking about giving up applause for the performers. Today the phrase, Give it Up, has a different context for me.

I am challenged to live a higher standard for Christ. So are you. There are areas of our lives that we must surrender. Perhaps it's our agendas. It could be an addiction, bad habit, hurt, memory, offense, or something else.

When we surrender the negative areas of our lives to Jesus, we make room for more of His life to live in us. As we clear the closets of our soul, the Holy Spirit has more of us to dwell in. God will reveal to you what needs to be given up. But it is an act of our will and obedience that allows Him to cleanse us.

As I've stated, I'm being convicted of some areas of my life that I've been holding on to. I want more of Christ in my life. So, I have decided to surrender. I'm giving up.

What area of your life do you need to surrender to God? Do you want more of Jesus and less of you? Do you want to live a life that pleases God? Then give it up. You can do it through His strength working in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment