Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Press On

"I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me. No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us." Philippians 3:12-14 NLT

I was golfing the other day with my friend Dwayne. I'm a lousy golfer. I mean really bad. I drove the ball off the tee. It wasn't great. In fact it was barely good. I said, "I can live with that." Dwayne said that statement would make a good sermon. I know what he meant. He saw that I had become content with good, or sort of good.

We settle in life. When you start a diet and are midway through, you start to see some progress. That's when many people fall back into weight gain. They take what little success they have had, and act as though they have arrived. We settle in relationships, habits, goals, and on and on. We forsake the best, for the good. Or barely good.

The apostle Paul knew the challenge of settling. That's why he said that in his relationship with Christ, he had to press on. Paul knew that God's strength, combined with his will, made an invincible combination. And the result would be worth the effort.

What have you settled for in life? Where have you thrown in the towel? What have you arrived at, only to find your still a long way off?

Press on toward Jesus!

1 comment:

  1. Greetings, dear brother. I am blessed by the Lord to be directed to your blog. Especially in the season I'm "springing into". This is a good WORD! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete