Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Horse Sense

"So let us stop going over the basic teachings about Christ again and again. Let us go on instead and become mature in our understanding. Surely we don’t need to start again with the fundamental importance of repenting from evil deeds and placing our faith in God." Hebrews 6:1 NLT

I have a friend that told this story. He loved horses. Had been around horses a lot during his adult life. So, he had been asking God for a horse. A horse would help him in his second job and also would be a great way to relax.

Well, his Heavenly Father answered his prayer request and gave him a horse. And it truly was a gift because this horse was given to him. The horse was named Pinto Joe. As far as horses go, he was beautiful, strong and seemed well-mannered. So, in the beginning, during the honeymoon period, as most honeymoon periods go, my friend and Pinto Joe became fast friends. They enjoyed each other's company and respected each other's strengths and weaknesses.

Then, as most honeymoon period go, it ended. Pinto Joe was becoming surly. He started playing games with his master--wanting to be the dominate one. Well, in turn, that caused my friend to stop trusting Pinto Joe. My friend didn't know from day-to-day, what kind of new game Pinto Joe would try on him. So that caused distrust, frustration and all thought of a relaxing horse ride was gone. The joy was gone.

What to do? Well, trade him in. Get a model that was dependable. And that is what he did. He took Pinto Joe to a horse trader friend to get a more discipline ride--one that was more mature perhaps or one who was mellower.

When the horse trader friend, Sam, saw Pinto Joe, he saw something else. Something that my friend had started to overlook in his frustration, in his distrust. Pinto Joe had potential. He had the beginnings of a great companion--he just needed a little training, a little horse etiquette schooling.

Sam approached my friend, asking if he could have permission to have Pinto Joe for a couple of weeks and see what he could do with him. Sam was given permission.

When my friend came back in a couple of weeks, he had a new horse! It was the same Pinto Joe on the outside but on the inside--the spirit--it was different. It was a calmer, more mature, gentler horse spirit. And what a joy to be around!

I hear this story and it reminds me of our relationship with our Heavenly Father. How many times have we been like Pinto Joe--calming and wanting to please our Heavenly Father when we first come into a relationship with Him--but as the honeymoon period is over, we want to control our Father instead of allowing Him to control us? Of course, we know better than Him. We start playing games, with ourselves and God.

But if given the chance, if we resubmit ourselves to the Father's gentle hand, go back to His feet, His table, His word--we can become more mature. A better model to be able to serve our Master.

Think about that in your walk today. Are you becoming surly, a mischievous game player or are you a trusted, true-blue Christ-follower? The choice is yours.

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of my life verse Phil. 1:6: "Being confident of this very thing that He which hath begun a good work in you will be faithful to complete it until the day of Jesus Christ." I am perpetually reminded of how God never gives up on me, each day carefully correcting, guiding, and waiting patiently for me to respond to His correction. I am blessed beyond measure when I realize that God disciplines those He loves, and by virtue of this fact I see He must love me a lot!
    Thanks Eric for all you do and challenging each of us to think on a deeper level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ryan,

    I appreciate you my brother. Thank you for your words of encouragement!

    Love, Eric

    ReplyDelete