Friday, July 17, 2009

Divine Discipline

"And have you forgotten the encouraging words God spoke to you as His children? He said,

'My child, don't make light of the LORD's
discipline,
and don't give up when He corrects you.
For the LORD disciplines those He loves,
and punishes each one He accepts as
His child.'

As you endure this divine discipline, remember that God is treating you as His own children."
Hebrews 12:5-7 NLT

Divine discipline. When God puts it that way, doesn't it make you feel like you want to thank Him for making you feel so special? But wait a minute--discipline--discipline isn't good, is it? Discipline hurts, doesn't it?

No and yes. Discipline is good and it does hurt. But sometimes in order to learn what the LORD wants us to, He has to discipline us so that our spirit remembers the lesson learned.

As I think about the times that I have had to discipline Amanda & Jordan, it was hard for me. I love my children and it goes against my grain to bring them pain. Does my heavenly FATHER go through the same turmoil? Does He, as I do, go ahead, knowing that it is IN my love, that I have to discipline so that they can turn out to be the gift God designed them to be?

Your FATHER cherishes you. Can you see that in that love, He wants to encourage you to be all you can be? And sometimes, in order to do that, He needs to discipline you?

The next time you are being "divinely disciplined", remember the old saying, "love hurts" and rejoice in it!

"But God's discipline is always good for us, so that we might share in His holiness." Hebrews 12:10 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment