Friday, July 10, 2009

Handling Life's Ickiness

"For God, who said, 'Let there be light in the darkness,' has made this light shine in our hearts so we could know the glory of God that is seen in the face of Jesus Christ.

We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure. This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves.

We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but not driven to despair." 2 Corinthians 4:6-8 NLT

Does it seem that every time you turn around, something is thrown at you?

At first, you are O.K. with it. You say, "God is with me and we can handle this together." And this is true. But then another icky is heaped on you and then another, until you say, "STOP! I can't handle it anymore! Whatever makes you, God, think I can handle ALL of this! I CAN'T! Stop PUNISHING me! I CAN'T deal with ALL of this. It's TOO much! WHAT did I ever do to DESERVE this?" Then we melt into a heaping pile of goo at the feet of Jesus.

Have you been there? Have you ever had a conversation similar to this with God? It's O.K. you know. God KNEW you were going to get there. Why He puts us into that spot? I think to built character in us and in others.

When we become believers, we also sign up as His disciples. As His disciples, it's not always sweet and clean and trouble free. How many times in the Bible do you read of the glamorous--conflict free life of Paul, Peter, of Jesus Himself? Not many. But how many times have we turn to their stories in the Bible and found strength and insight on how to handle icky situations?

I'm in the same boat myself--lately. Every time I turn around, there is someone--or something-else asking for money that I do not have. It's a sinking feeling. Then, in my fear, I get angry at God. I think, "Hey, I have given MY life to serve YOU and this is the thanks I get?! I don't get it! Please help me!"

Please know, as I do, that God is not "punishing" us, or playing games with our hearts. As a loving and caring Father would, He is guiding us to be ALL He knows we can be. It's like a trainer that is training his client to be the best runner, boxer, weight lifter, marathoner, that that person can be. But in order to get to that point, the trainer has to push his client PAST the comfort zone to come out better, stronger and more appreciative, on the other side.

God can take all the ickiness, the heaps of goo, in your life and turn it into beauty and strength. What do you have to do? Just totally give it ALL to Him and LEAVE it there. He will do the rest.

"Through suffering, our bodies continue to share in the death of Jesus so that the life of Jesus may also be seen in our bodies" 2 Corinthians 4:10 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment