Monday, July 6, 2009

Jackie

What is the price of five sparrows—two copper coins? Yet God does not forget a single one of them." Luke 12:6 NLT

I was sad this morning. Our pet sparrow Jackie died. We found her several weeks ago on Mother's Day. We were at our local grocery store. She fell out of a nest above our truck, and landed on the hood. Featherless and eyes closed, helpless, and in need. My daughter and wife feed and cared for her.

Over time Jackie grew and became a part of the family. She would fly around the house, land on us, watch us do chores and just enjoy being with us. She would cuddle up in the palms of your hands and fall asleep. She taught me that there is no such thing as a dumb animal.

Yesterday she was somewhat lethargic. She wanted to be held. This morning my wife found her, dead in her cage. This is a very sad day for my wife and daughter. God has given them a very special heart for animals. I even cried. I thought about Jackie's life. All she ever knew was love. Amanda and Peggy loved and cared for her. I think about the mercy of God to even a sparrow. She fell out of her nest and onto our truck. She wasn't eaten, ran over or abused in that grocery store parking lot. When it came time for her to pass, she fell asleep.

I think that is how God wants us to see life. Living each day in His love and care. And when it is our time to pass, to do so into His loving arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment